A Boy, Two Magnets — along using a Trip to the ER

News Picture: A Boy, Two Magnets -- along using a Trip to the ER

WEDNESDAY, Oct. 25, 2017 (HealthDay News) — Proving yet again which kids will try almost anything when you’re not watching, one European 11-year-old wedged two smaller magnetized disks up his nostrils — causing serious medical issues, his doctors report.

The unnamed child via Cyprus was brought to a hospital six hours later using a nosebleed along with “severe pain,” the physicians wrote inside Oct. 26 issue of the brand new England Journal of Medicine.

“Examination of the nasal cavity showed mucus along with crusted blood,” said Drs. Kadir Kazikdas along with Mehmet Dirik, of Near East University in Nicosia.

What’s worse, the two magnets were attracted to each additional across the nasal cavity. which meant they were compressing tissue which in time could lead to tissue death along with even perforation of the septum.

The magnets were so powerfully attracted which attempts by ER doctors to remove them didn’t work. So the boy “was taken to the operating room for removal of the magnets while he was under general anesthesia,” the physicians wrote.

Fighting fire with fire, doctors then decided to use additional magnets — placed outside the nose — to counteract the pull the internal magnets had on each additional. Their plan worked, along with the magnets were finally removed.

The child suffered damage to his nasal cartilage along with had to wear special splints for 10 days, although his nose eventually recovered, the doctors reported.

Two U.S. experts said kids will sometimes eat or insert into their bodies dangerous foreign objects, so the case was not surprising. Ingesting magnets is actually rare, said Dr. Jim Dwyer, although the item does happen.

Magnets “can cause serious injury along with potentially life-threatening complications,” said Dwyer, who directs emergency medicine at Northern Westchester Hospital, in Mount Kisco, N.Y.

“When more than one magnet is actually ingested, or one magnet with one or more additional metallic objects, they can stick together across different parts of the digestive system causing obstruction or perforation,” he said.

Dr. Michael Grosso, chair of pediatrics at Huntington Hospital in Huntington, N.Y., agreed. He added which swallowing magnets can lead to even more severe effects.

“While swallowing an individual magnet is actually essentially harmless, two or more magnets may pass into the intestinal tract at the same time,” he said. “If one is actually ahead of another, these may become attracted with bowel lining between them, running the risk of severe injury, perforation along with, ultimately, infection inside form of peritonitis.”

His advice: “Parents need to be aware of these risks along with make efforts to keep smaller magnets entirely out of reach via younger children, who might otherwise decide to swallow them, or place them in any additional body cavity,” Grosso said.

— E.J. Mundell

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

SOURCES: Jim Dwyer, M.D., chief, emergency medicine, Northern Westchester Hospital, Mount Kisco, N.Y.; Michael Grosso, M.D., chair, pediatrics, along with chief medical officer, Huntington Hospital, Huntington, N.Y.; Oct. 26, 2017, brand new England Journal of Medicine

Next Article: Conjoined Twins Separated

Subscribe to MedicineNet’s Children’s Health & Parenting Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet’s Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy along with understand which I may opt out of MedicineNet’s subscriptions at any time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

three × 3 =