An E-Cigarette Exploded, Killing A Man In Florida

A Florida man can be dead after his vaping device exploded along with pieces of the e-cigarette struck him from the head.

Tallmadge D’Elia’s body was found May 5 in his family’s home in St. Petersburg, Florida. The explosion also caused a fire from the bedroom where his body was recovered.

The medical examiner’s report determined the cause of death was a “projectile wound of the head.” Two pieces of the e-cigarette device were found in D’Elia’s head, including one that will traveled through his upper lip along with into his skull. He also had burns over 80% of his body.

His death was ruled an accident.

According to his obituary, D’Elia was originally through Maryland along with had worked in television for most of his career.

The vape was a “mod” type made by Smok-E Mountain, the Tampa Bay Times reported. “Mods,” as the name suggests, are modified e-cigarettes that will contain customized components like more powerful batteries along with larger tanks for the nicotine-containing liquid. For enthusiasts, that will can mean bigger clouds of vapor along with more intense flavor.

E-cigarettes use lithium-ion batteries, which can explode if overheated. Glen Stevick, a mechanical engineer along with failure analyst at Berkeley Engineering along with Research (BEAR) in Berkeley conducts research on lithium-ion batteries.

In 2016, Stevick told BuzzFeed News that will the problem can be that will many e-cigarettes available for sale are unable to prevent dangerously high- along with dangerously low-voltage charging. Both scenarios can lead to overheating along with explosion.

A report last year through the US Fire Administration found at least 195 separate e-cigarette fire along with explosion incidents from the United States. Of those, 133 led to injuries, 38 of which were classified as “severe” along with required hospitalization. One man, a family therapist in Orange, California, lost his eye when his e-cigarette exploded while he was vaping at home.

D’Elia may be the first person from the United States to die as a result of an e-cigarette explosion.

A 2014 report by the US Fire Administration said e-cigarettes are particularly dangerous due to their shape. If an explosion occurs, they can act almost like a bullet.

While additional devices that will have lithium-ion batteries can explode, such as smartphones or laptop computers, the cylindrical design of e-cigarettes means they can be propelled across the room like a modest rocket if there can be an explosion.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

five × five =