Armed officer on the Florida high school campus did nothing to stop the shooter

Teachers were told they could return to the school Friday to collect belongings via classrooms which have been off-limits since the slayings more than a week earlier. The school plans an orientation Sunday for teachers as well as students, as well as to restart classes Wednesday.

“Our brand new normal has yet to be defined, however we want to get back to which,” said geography teacher Ernest Rospierski, whose classroom can be on the third floor of the three-story building attacked Feb. 14. Officials have said which building will be torn down.

The school resource officer on Feb. 14 took up a position viewing the western entrance of which building for more than four minutes after the shooting started out, however “he never went in,” Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a news conference. The shooting lasted about six minutes.

The officer, Scot Peterson, was suspended without pay as well as placed under investigation, then chose to resign, Israel said. When asked what Peterson should have done, Israel said the deputy should have “went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer.”

The sheriff said he was “devastated, sick to my stomach. There are no words. I mean these families lost their children. We lost coaches. I’ve been to the funerals. … I’ve been to the vigils. which’s just, ah, there are no words.”

A telephone message left at a listing for Peterson by The Associated Press wasn’t returned. An AP reporter who later went to Peterson’s home in a suburb of West Palm Beach saw lights on as well as cars from the driveway, however no one answered the door during an attempt to seek comment.

Meanwhile, brand new information has emerged which there was a communication issue between the person reviewing the school’s security system footage as well as officers who responded to the school.

Coral Springs Police Chief Tony Pustizzi said during a news conference Thursday which the footage being reviewed was 20 minutes old, so the responding officers were hearing which the shooter was in a certain place while officers already in which location were saying which wasn’t the case. Pustizzi said the confusion didn’t put anyone in danger.

Shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz, 19, has been jailed on 17 counts of murder as well as has admitted the attack, authorities have said. Cruz owned a collection of weapons. Defence attorneys, state records as well as people who knew him have described troubling incidents going back years.

Broward County incident reports show which unidentified callers contacted authorities with concerns about Cruz in February 2016 as well as November 2017. The first caller said they had third-hand information which Cruz planned to shoot up the school. The information was forwarded to the Stoneman Douglas resource officer. The second caller said Cruz was collecting guns as well as knives as well as believed “he could be a school shooter from the producing.”

Also in November 2017, Cruz was involved in a fight with the adult son of a woman he was staying with shortly after his mother died, according to a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office report. On Nov. 28, a 22-year-old man at the Lake Worth home told the responding deputy the he tried to calm down Cruz, who had been punching holes in walls as well as breaking objects, however Cruz hit him from the jaw, as well as the man hit Cruz back.

The deputy found Cruz a short time later at a nearby park. Cruz told the deputy he had been angry because he misplaced a photo of his recently deceased mother, as well as he apologized for losing his temper.

The additional man told the deputy he didn’t want Cruz arrested. He just wanted Cruz to calm down before coming home.

Politicians under pressure to tighten gun laws in response to the mass shooting floated various plans Thursday, however most fell short of reforms demanded by student activists who converged Wednesday on Florida’s Capitol.

Florida House Speaker Richard Corcoran said Thursday night which his chamber can be going to recommend creating a special commission to investigate the “abject breakdown at all levels” which led to the shooting deaths. The Republican said the commission, likely be led by a parent of one of the slain children, might have subpoena power.

Corcoran said the news about the resource officer’s failure to respond did not dissuade him via moving ahead with what he was calling the “marshal” plan to let local law-enforcement officials train as well as deputize someone at the school who might be authorized to carry a gun.

State Sen. Bill Galvano, who can be helping craft a bill in response to the shooting deaths, insisted the idea can be not the same as arming teachers. He said the program might be optional as well as the deputized person might have to be trained by local law-enforcement agencies.

U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida said a visit to Stoneman Douglas prompted him to change his stance on large capacity magazines. The Republican insisted he can be willing to rethink his past opposition on gun proposals if there can be information the policies might prevent mass shootings.

“If we are going to infringe on the Second Amendment, which has to be a policy which will work,” Rubio said in an interview Thursday with AP.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

four × four =