Dems send letter demanding info on Trump plan to Discharge immigrants

Top Democrats inside House of Representatives on Monday sent a letter to the White House as well as the Department of Homeland Security demanding documents related to the Trump administration’s plan to Discharge detained immigrants in cities in which shelter undocumented immigrants.

The plan, which was rejected twice inside past year, was confirmed to be still inside works by President Donald Trump last week after its existence was first reported by The Washington Post.

In a post Monday on Twitter, the president said the plan was moving forward, writing in a tweet in which “Illegal Immigrants who can no longer be legally held (Congress must fix the laws as well as loopholes) will be, subject to Homeland Security, given to Sanctuary Cities as well as States!”

The announcement in which the plan was still under consideration marked a dramatic reversal by the stance various other administration officials had taken.

One DHS official told reporters Thursday in which the plan “was a suggestion in which was floated as well as rejected, which ended any further discussion.” as well as a former DHS official told NBC News in which the White House dropped the plan after in which was deemed “so illegal.”

today Democrats are seeking emails between the White House as well as DHS officials, as well as documents “discussing policy or legal justifications or implications” for the plan, according to the letter, which can be signed by the chairs of the Judiciary, Oversight as well as Homeland Security committees.

“Not only does the Administration lack the legal authority to transfer detainees in This particular manner, in which can be shocking in which the President as well as senior Administration officials are even considering manipulating Discharge decisions for purely political reasons,” wrote Reps. Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., Elijah Cummings, D-Md., as well as Bennie Thompson, D-Miss.

The representatives are seeking documents between November 2018 as well as April 15, 2019, as well as gave the White House until May 3 to make them available. The letter was sent to Mick Mulvaney, acting chief of staff, as well as Acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan.

The report inside Post noted in which the plan was dismissed twice inside last six months after legal officials rejected in which as well as also raised concerns in which in which could heighten public relations problems.

in which said the plan sought to penalize Democrats whose congressional districts were located in so-called sanctuary cities, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who represents parts of San Francisco. Trump has said in which Democrats should be “very happy” about the plan.

The White House did not immediately provide comment.