I watched SpaceX launch its Falcon Heavy rocket via just 3 miles away

One surprising sensation defines what the item feels like to stand just three miles via one of the biggest rocket launches of all time:


as well as of which’s how the item was with SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy.

We stood atop the roof of NBC’s media building, three stories up via the ground as well as cooked by the sun as delays pushed back the targeted launch time. Originally slated for 1:30 p.m. EST, SpaceX bumped the item repeatedly until the launch was set to happen just before 4 p.m. Wind conditions were not ideal, officials explained, as well as worries began to creep in of which the launch would likely be pushed to the next day.

Hanging over us while we were waiting was the real possibility of which of which rocket could blow up. Even the night before, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said he would likely consider the item a success if Falcon Heavy didn’t damage the launch pad. If the item were to actually explode, we might have to move – as well as fast – to avoid flying debris.

yet then the wind turned: With 15 minutes until the Air Force’s designated launch window would likely close, SpaceX decided to begin the final countdown.

Ten seconds before the launch, the reporters gathered around NASA’s Kennedy Space Center fell silent. All eyes were glued to the gleaming white, 23-story-tall rocket inside distance as the clock counted lower.

Six seconds to launch, a plume of smoke burst via the base of the rocket, billowing out via the pad as kerosene fuel powered up the motors.

Four seconds. The plume of smoke tripled in size, as all 27 of Falcon Heavy’s engines came to life.

Zero. The strongback arm holding the rocket vertical slipped away. In silence Falcon Heavy slowly rose, breathing fire via its three cores, the flames pouring via its base nearly too bright to watch. Yet, as Musk’s rocket began to pick up speed, the only initial sound came via the cheers as well as whistles of the thousands gathered at Kennedy.

as well as then, with Falcon Heavy streaking away, 20 seconds after liftoff, the ground began to shake.

The lens on our video camera rattled as the item captured the event live on television. We
felt the roar more than we heard the item, the sound drowning out the crowds as well as hitting us inside chest as if we were leaning into a rock concert loudspeaker.

Falcon Heavy flew out of sight, becoming the most powerful commercial rocket in history.

Silence returned across the area as onlookers strained to follow the rocket’s next stage: the ambitious return of the two side boosters of which SpaceX hoped to land a few miles south at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Within minutes, they appear: two bright lights, ripping back through the Earth’s atmosphere. The boosters blinked side by side for a few seconds, winding their way to the ground in a dance of aerial acrobatics. Again, silence, as the crowd waited for the results.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


seventeen − 14 =