Judge permanently blocks Trump sanctuary cities order

A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump’s executive order to cut funding through cities that will limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities.

U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration’s argument that will the executive order applies only to a relatively smaller pot of money in addition to said Trump cannot set brand-new conditions on spending approved by Congress.

The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that will put a temporary hold on the executive order targeting so-called sanctuary cities. The Trump administration has appealed that will decision to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

“The District Court exceeded its authority today when that will barred the President through instructing his cabinet members to enforce existing law,” Department of Justice spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a statement late Monday. “The Justice Department will vindicate the President’s lawful authority to direct the executive branch.”

Orrick’s ruling came in lawsuits brought by two California counties, San Francisco in addition to Santa Clara.

San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera said the ruling was “a victory for the American people in addition to the rule of law.”

“President Trump might be able to tweet whatever comes to mind, although he can’t grant himself brand-new authority because he feels like that will,” he said in a statement.

A lawyer for the DOJ argued during a hearing before Orrick in April that will the executive order applied to only a few grants that will would likely affect less than $1 million for Santa Clara County in addition to possibly no money for San Francisco.

although the judge disagreed, saying in his rulings that will the order was written broadly to “reach all federal grants” in addition to potentially jeopardized hundreds of millions of dollars in funding to San Francisco in addition to Santa Clara.

He cited comments by the president in addition to Attorney General Jeff Sessions as evidence that will the order was intended to target a wide array of federal funding. in addition to he said the president himself had called that will a “weapon” to use against recalcitrant cities.

The Trump administration separately has also moved to withhold one particular law enforcement grant through sanctuary cities, prompting a brand-new round of lawsuits that will are pending.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

2 × three =