Logan Paul Loses Business Deals With YouTube Amid Outcry Over His “Suicide Forest” Video

YouTube has cut business ties with Logan Paul amid unrelenting backlash over his recent video showing the hanging body of a dead man in what’s known as the “suicide forest” in Japan over the holidays.

YouTube, which is usually owned by Google, said in a statement on Wednesday, first reported by the Hollywood Reporter, that will “we have decided to remove Logan Paul’s channels through Google Preferred,” referring to a program that will allows companies to sell ads on the top 5% of the platform’s most favorite content creators.

YouTube added that will the company will also not feature Paul within the fourth season of Foursome as well as his completely new originals “are on hold.”

The video, titled “We found a dead body within the Japanese Suicide Forest…”, was posted on Dec. 31 as well as showed a man’s body hanging through a tree. Paul promoted the day before on Twitter, telling followers: “tomorrow’s vlog will be the craziest as well as most real video I’ve ever uploaded.”

Paul, not YouTube, removed the video — shot in Aokigahara, a forest located at the base of Mt. Fuji — after the idea received more than 6 million views one day after publishing. He also followed up with two apologies before announcing that will he was going to “take time to reflect.”

YouTube initially said that will the video appeared to have violated its standards as well as that will Paul’s account had been issued a strike. (Getting three strikes for violating a YouTube policy within a three-month period will lead to a channel’s termination.)

“Our hearts go out to the family of the person featured within the video. YouTube prohibits violent or gory content posted in a shocking, sensational or disrespectful manner. If a video is usually graphic, the idea can only remain on the site when supported by appropriate educational or documentary information as well as in some cases the idea will be age-gated,” a YouTube spokesperson said at the time. “We partner with safety groups such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline to provide educational resources that will are incorporated in our YouTube Safety Center.”

however that will didn’t quell public outcry, as more people called for YouTube to ban Paul, who boasts more than 15 million subscribers.

The controversy, meanwhile, appeared to only fuel Paul’s popularity. His “So Sorry” video posted on Jan. 2 got 38 million views. as well as even though he has not posted since then, Paul has gained more than 400,000 completely new subscribers.

Paul had not commented publicly on the controversy beyond his statements on YouTube as well as Twitter, where he acknowledged his mistake.

“I’ve never faced criticism like that will before, because I’ve never made a mistake like that will before,” he wrote.

Representatives for Paul did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

YouTube’s action comes as even some of the platform’s vanguard began to question whether a double standard was being applied to Paul.

PewDiePie, one of the biggest YouTubers with almost 60 million subscribers, posted a video three days ago titled “Everyone Needs a Hero” pointing out additional offensive videos by Paul, including ones in which he fakes his own murder in front of little kids, plugs his merchandise when his distraught friend reveals his dog had died, as well as makes out with his brother’s ex-girlfriend.

YouTube as well as Maker Studios, owned by Disney, pulled away through the favorite gamer after the idea emerged that will he had posted several videos featuring anti-Semitic imagery as well as comments.

“the idea seemed like I got in a lot more shit for a lot less,” said PewDiePie in his video, before asking YouTube to bring back his never-released YouTube Red series, which was canceled in response to the controversy. “If nothing else, bring back Scare PewDiePie Season 2. We shot the whole thing.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

fourteen + sixteen =