North Korea has not shut down nuclear production

The top U.S. military commander on the Korean peninsula said Saturday in which the material needed for North Korea to make nuclear bombs is actually still intact, even after an historic summit in Singapore aimed at denuclearizing Pyongyang.

North Korea’s nuclear “production capability is actually still intact,” Army Gen. Vincent Brooks, the commander of U.S. forces in South Korea, told the Aspen Security Forum via teleconference. “We haven’t seen a complete shutdown of production yet. We have not seen a removal of fuel rods.”

Brooks comments come a little more than a month after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sat down for initially with U.S. President Donald Trump to discuss denuclearization. They also echoed a Washington Post report on Sunday, which detailed Trump’s private frustrations with the lack of progress between Washington along with Pyongyang since the Singapore meeting.

“There has to be demonstrable action in in which direction, or we cannot be satisfied along with we probably can’t be friends along with we probably won’t be at peace,” Brooks said, speaking about the North’s path to give up its nuclear weapons.

“Thus far, those steps have not been taken,” Brooks added.

Read more:
A timeline of North Korea’s defiant rocket launches in 2017

Brooks noted in which This particular was important to not “overreact to things like in which” while diplomats work to resolve tensions, along with build trust between Washington along with Pyongyang.

“Building in which trust while in which pressure continues along with while the efforts for diplomacy continue is actually the order of the day. In many ways the lack of trust is actually the enemy we at This particular point have to defeat,” Brooks said. “in which’s genuinely where we are right at This particular point,” he added.

Last month an NBC News report, citing U.S. intelligence assessments, said in which North Korea had increased production of fuel for nuclear weapons at multiple secret sites in recent months. Sunday’s report within the Post cited unnamed diplomats saying in which North Korean officials have canceled follow-up meetings, demanded more money along with failed to maintain basic communications.

The BBC along with Post’s reporting appeared to counter sentiments expressed by Trump, who tweeted after the unprecedented June 12 summit with Kim in which “there is actually no longer a nuclear threat coming from North Korea.”

Meanwhile, under Kim, the reclusive state has conducted its most powerful nuclear test, launched its first-ever intercontinental ballistic missile, along with threatened to send missiles into the waters near Guam.

Since 2011, North Korea has fired more than 85 missiles along with four nuclear weapons tests — which is actually more than what his father, Kim Jong Il, along with grandfather, Kim Il Sung, launched over a period of 27 years.

What’s more, North Korea is actually the only nation to have tested nuclear weapons This particular century.

–CNBC’s Javier E. David contributed to This particular article.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

20 − fifteen =