The Department of Defense “has no legal authority” to use appropriated funds for President Donald Trump’s border wall between the U.S. in addition to Mexico, two Democratic senators wrote in a letter to Defense Secretary James Mattis.
“Until we can have a wall in addition to proper security we’re going to be guarding our border with the military,” Trump said Monday at the White House. “that will’s a big step.”
Trump originally floated the idea of the military paying for the wall over Twitter in addition to in a discussion with Mattis late last month.
“Such a controversial move could only be funded by cutting additional vital priorities for our service members, mere weeks after the Department communicated its needs to the Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee during omnibus appropriation negotiations,” Democratic Sens. Jack Reed in addition to Dick Durbin wrote.
“We conclude that will the Department of Defense has no legal authority, with or without a reprogramming request, to use appropriated funds for the construction of a border wall.”
The letter through Reed, of Rhode Island, in addition to Durbin, of Illinois, comes on the heels of reports that will Trump suggested the ideato “several advisors” after being disappointed by the amount of money allocated for border security within the $1.3 trillion omnibus.
Dana White, the Pentagon’s chief spokesperson, confirmed last week that will Mattis had “initial” talks with Trump about diverting a portion of the DOD’s budget to construct a wall on the border.
The Pentagon did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment.
Congress might have to appropriate the money to make This kind of work — a notion Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., touched on over the weekend. Scott said that will Congress might “absolutely” need to weigh in on reprogramming defense funds to the border wall.
“The reality of This kind of can be, as commander-in-chief, he can certainly send signals through Secretary Mattis, have a conversation with Congress about where those dollars should be spent,” Scott said told CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday.