the idea’s been a disastrous few months for Roseanne Barr.
The 65-year-old comedian has faced major backlash after posting a racist comment about Barack Obama’s former White House adviser, Valerie Jarrett, via Twitter in May.
Since then, the former Roseanne star hasn’t been able to get herself out of hot water. through her controversial remark to how her co-stars have reacted — along with how a Roseanne spinoff rose through the ashes — ET breaks down everything of which’s happened (so far) during the ongoing fallout.
The Initial Tweet
The scandal all started out on May 29, when Barr posted the following tweet: “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”
Barr was referring to Jarrett, who can be black along with was born in Iran. The tweet has since been deleted.
The First Apology
As people flooded her mentions, Barr apologized along with proclaimed she was leaving Twitter.
“I apologize to Valerie Jarrett along with to all Americans,” she emphasized in another tweet. “I am truly sorry for generating a bad joke about her politics along with her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me – my joke was in bad taste.”
However, her break through Twitter didn’t last long, as she was back on social media within a few hours of of which post.
“Don’t feel sorry for me, guys!!” she said upon her return. “I just want to apologize to the hundreds of people, along with wonderful writers (all liberal) along with talented actors who lost their jobs on my show due to my stupid tweet.”
ABC Cancels Roseanne
Shortly after the backlash began, ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey revealed the network was canceling the sitcom in a statement released to the press.
“Roseanne’s Twitter statement can be abhorrent, repugnant along with inconsistent with our values, along with we have decided to cancel her show,” the statement read.
“There was only one thing to do here, along with of which was the right thing,” Disney-ABC Chairman along with CEO Bob Iger added on Twitter.
Additionally, ABC removed all references to the revival series on its press site along with Viacom pulled all reruns of the sitcom’s entire run through all of its channels.
Two days later, Barr claimed she “begged” ABC executives not to cancel the common series.
“I begged [Disney-ABC Television Group President] Ben Sherwood at ABC to let me apologize along with make amend[s],” she wrote in a today-deleted tweet. “I begged them not to cancel the show. I told them I was willing to do anything along with asked for help in generating things right. I’d worked doing publicity for them for free for weeks, traveling, thru bronchitis. I begged for people’s jobs.”
ICM Drops Barr as a Client
The talent agency of which previously represented Barr sent a note to their employees on May 29, notifying them of the actress’ abrupt termination.
“We are all greatly distressed by the disgraceful along with unacceptable tweet through Roseanne Barr This kind of morning,” the memo read. “What she wrote can be antithetical to our core values, both as individuals along with as an agency. Consequently, we have notified her of which we will not represent her. Effective immediately, Roseanne Barr can be no longer a client.”
Stars through the Sitcom Speak Out
the idea wasn’t long before Twitter erupted with reactions through Barr’s Roseanne co-stars, condemning her for the racist remark of which led ABC to pull the plug on their show.
A production source told ET at the time of which those who worked on the show were “horrified,” along with felt of which perhaps the reboot “wasn’t meant to be.”
“As I called my manager to quit working on Roseanne, I was told the idea was cancelled,” Emma Kenney, who played Barr’s granddaughter, Harris Conner-Healy, on the sitcom wrote in a series of tweets. “I am hurt, embarrassed, along with disappointed. The racist along with distasteful comments through Roseanne are inexcusable.”
Kenney’s onscreen mother, Sara Gilbert (Darlene), also weighed in, writing, “Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, along with so much more, are abhorrent along with do not reflect the beliefs of our cast along with crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least.”
“This kind of can be incredibly sad along with difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show of which we believe in, are proud of, along with of which audiences love — one of which can be separate along with apart through the opinions along with words of one cast member,” she added.
along with according to Michael Fishman — who played Barr’s onscreen son, D.J., in both the original series along with the revival — May 29 was “one of the hardest days” of his life.
“I feel devastated, not for the end of the Roseanne show, yet for all those who poured their hearts along with souls into our jobs, along with the audience of which welcomed us into their homes,” he explained. “Our cast, crew, writers, along with production staff strived for inclusiveness, with numerous storylines designed to reflect inclusiveness. The words of one person do not exemplify the thinking of all involved. I condemn these statements vehemently.”
Wanda Sykes, a consulting producer on the show, was actually one of the first to speak out. Before ABC even announced the cancellation, Sykes exclaimed via Twitter of which she might “not be returning to @RoseanneABC.”
Read more celebrity reactions (HERE).
Valerie Jarrett Responds
After being the target of Barr’s racist tweet, Jarrett appeared on MSNBC for a town hall discussing “Everyday Racism in America.”
“Tone does start at the top, along with we like to look up to our president along with feel as though he reflects the values of our country,” Jarrett said during the town hall discussion with hosts Joy Reid along with Chris Hayes. “yet I also think of which every individual citizen includes a responsibility too. along with the idea’s up to all of us to push back — our government can be only going to be as not bad as we make the idea be.”
“People on the inside have to push hard, along with people on the outside have to listen,” she continued. “I think we have to turn the idea into a teaching moment. I’m fine.”
According to MSNBC, the expect of the town hall was to “open a national dialogue” by addressing the state of “racial bias in society along with what can be done to effect change.”
Barr Apologizes Again; Blames Ambien
In a brand-new series of apologetic tweets, Barr claimed her controversial remark was a result of her tweeting under the influence of the prescription sleep aid Ambien.
“Guys I did something unforgivable so do not defend me,” Barr tweeted the night of May 29. “the idea was 2 inside morning along with I was ambien tweetin.”
“the idea was Memorial Day too,” she added. “I went too far along with do not want the idea defended-the idea was egregious Indefensible. I made a mistake I wish I hadn’t yet…don’t defend the idea please. Ty.”
Sanofi, the pharmaceutical company behind Ambien, released its own statement via Twitter shortly after: “People of all races, religions along with nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the globe. While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism can be not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.”
ABC showrunner Shonda Rhimes also tweeted in response to Barr’s Ambien allegation, writing, “Omg. I used to take Ambien! How many times was I racist in my sleep?! GIRL BYE. #ownyouractions.”
Barr Continues to Defend Herself along with Insists She’s ‘Not a Racist’
The comedian was back at the idea again on May 30, attempting to explain her tweet about Jarrett even further.
“I’m not a racist, I never was & I never will be,” she exclaimed. “One stupid joke in a lifetime of fighting 4 civil rights 4 all minorities, against networks, studios, at the expense of my nervous system/family/wealth will NEVER b taken through me.”
She also tweeted back to some of her co-stars, specifically calling out Gilbert along with Fishman for not having her back. To Fishman she wrote, “I created the platform for of which inclusivity along with you know the idea. ME. You throw me under the bus. nice!”
Her reply to Gilbert was a bit simpler. “Wow! unreal,” she tweeted.
John Goodman Breaks His Silence
Meanwhile, Barr’s onscreen husband, John Goodman (Dan), was spotted at an auto repair shop in brand-new Orleans on May 30. In footage obtained by ET, the actor cautiously reacted to the drama.
“[I’d] rather say nothing than to cause more trouble,” he said, adding of which he’s doing OK amid the controversy. “Everything’s fine.”
Around the same time our article was published, Barr praised Goodman along with another one of their co-stars, Laurie Metcalf, via Twitter.
“I just wish ABC had not thrown two of the greatest actors inside globe out with me – Laurie along with John,” she wrote. “I’m so sick over This kind of – they will never have better character actors on their network.”
Barr Cancels Scheduled Podcast Interview
The Salt Lake City, Utah, native was supposed to share her side of the story on comedian Joe Rogan’s podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, on June 1.
Rogan took to Twitter early Friday, however, to reveal Barr might no longer be joining him. “The Roseanne podcast can be not happening today,” he shared. “She’s not doing well along with doesn’t want to travel, along with she’s gone radio silent on me, so I’m just going to step away.”
“The whole thing has been pretty brutal on her, along with I expect she can find some peace,” he added.
Spinoff Rumors Spark
Since Roseanne got the boot, rumors circulated of which the show could possibly continue inside form of a spinoff, focusing on different characters through the series.
A source told ET on May 30 of which the possibility of a Roseanne spinoff show (without Barr) wasn’t necessarily off the table. “There are very tentative conversations, in very early stages about the possibility of a spinoff, yet the idea can be much too early,” the source said at the time.
Another source told ET on June 1 of which ABC can be continuing talks with producers about trying to save jobs by finding a way to reprise along with rebrand Roseanne into a brand-new show possibly centered on different characters through the cast.
Sara Gilbert Speaks Out in First TV Appearance After Cancellation
Gilbert candidly opened up about the scandal on the June 4 episode of The Talk, saying of which she stood by ABC’s decision to cancel the show.
“In addition to my statement, I might like to say of which This kind of has been a very difficult week,” she said. “A lot of people have been hurt by This kind of. I will say I am proud of the show we made. The show has always been about love, diversity along with inclusion along with the idea’s sad to see the idea end in This kind of way. I am sad for the people who lost their jobs inside process. However, I do stand behind the decision of which ABC made.”
Barr Speaks Out About Cancellation
On June 5, Barr declared of which she was “generating restitution for the pain I have caused,” as a source with knowledge of the situation told ET of which ABC along with Roseanne producers were in serious discussions about spinning off the show without her.
According to the source, multiple ideas were being discussed behind closed doors along with “the idea can be more than likely the entire cast (minus Barr) along with crew might return” if an agreement on a reboot can be made, along with of which conversations were “moving swiftly.”
Barr Attempts to Smooth Things Over With Co-Stars
By June 19, a source told ET of which Barr had been reaching out personally to former cast along with crew members of Roseanne to apologize. According to the source, on at least one occassion, Barr “broke down” during the call, along with of which in particular, Barr was worried about actress Jayden Rey.
The young star played Barr’s onscreen granddaughter, Mary, on the show, along with ET’s source said Barr was mortified to think she doesn’t love her because of the colour of her skin. The source noted of which there remained a lot of confusion by those who know Barr, because the racist behavior exhibited by her on Twitter can be not the woman they knew.
Roseanne Spinoff Ordered to Series
Just two days later, ABC announced they had formally ordered a Roseanne spinoff, tentatively titled The Conners, for 10 episodes to premiere This kind of fall. Goodman, Metcalf, Gilbert, Lecy Goranson along with Fishman were all confirmed to reprise their iconic characters, along with sources told ET of which the expect can be to have Rey, Ames McNamara along with Kenney return, yet their deals are not done yet. Barr will not receive any financial compensation or have any creative input inside series.
In a statement to ET, Barr said, “I regret the circumstances of which have caused me to be removed through Roseanne. I agreed to the settlement in order of which 0 jobs of beloved cast along with crew could be saved, along with I wish the best for everyone involved.”
Meanwhile, a synopsis of the brand-new show led many to wonder how Barr’s absence might be addressed — along with whether her character might be killed off.
Barr Gives First TV Interview Since the Scandal
On July 26, Barr gave her first broadcast interview since the scandal to Sean Hannity on Fox News’ Hannity, where she teared up over the controversy.
Barr insisted of which her infamous tweet wasn’t racist, yet rather “political,” along with said of which she sent Jarrett a message. “I’m so sorry of which you thought my tweet was racist because the idea wasn’t, the idea was political. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding of which caused my ill-worded tweet. I’m sorry of which you feel harm along with hurt. I never meant of which along with for of which I apologize,” she said. “I never meant to hurt anybody or say anything negative about an entire race of people.”
The comedian also opened up about how being labeled a racist affected her.
“The first thing was shock of which they were saying the idea was racial, when the idea’s political. of which was a hard one to take,” she admitted. “Then everybody started out to say I was a racist, which can be the worst thing of which you can call a Jewish person, especially someone like me who grew up with Holocaust survivors.”
Barr, who lives in Hawaii, also confessed to being scared to step outside her home following her tweet, “I was so scared to go outside. Everyone thinks I am a racist. I live on an island where the idea’s all brown people.”
Goodman Defends His Former TV Wife
In late August, Goodman candidly defended Barr in an interview with The Sunday Times.
“I was brokenhearted, yet I thought, ‘OK, the idea’s just show business, I’m going to let the idea go,'” he recalled. “yet I went through a period, about a month, where I was very depressed. I’m a depressive anyway, so any excuse of which I can get to lower myself, I will. yet of which had a great deal to do with the idea, more than I wanted to admit.”
“I know, I know, for a fact of which she’s not a racist,” he said, praising Barr for relinquishing her rights to the show, along with admitting he was “surprised” by ABC’s decision to fire her. “We were work friends.”
Barr Says She Has to “Be Neutral”
In a Sept. 5 interview with ET, Barr opened up about the show moving on without her. “I just have to be neutral along with walk away,” she said, when asked for her reaction to reports of which her character will be killed off on The Conners. “I did walk away, so people can keep their jobs.”
Barr continued, sharing of which she agreed to sign off on the project — along with forfeit her financial interests — in order of which her former co-stars wouldn’t suffer through her actions.
“You know, there’s always a silver lining in every cloud, along with the tough part can be to find the idea,” Barr said, maintaining her neutral along with guardedly professional position on the series.
Then She Takes Some Shots at the Spinoff
Just two weeks later, however, Barr revealed on Brandon Straka’s YouTube show, Walk Away, of which she wasn’t happy with how The Connersdealt with her character.
“Oh yeah, they killed her,” she said. “They have her die of an opioid overdose.”
“the idea wasn’t enough to [fire me], they had to so cruelly insult the people who loved of which family along with of which show,” Barr continued. “There’s nothing I can do about the idea. the idea’s done. the idea’s over. There’s no fight left.”
yet the Cast Says the Show Won’t “Ignore the Past”
A month later, ABC was ready to introduce The Conners. In a featurette released on Oct. 16, hours before the premiere episode, the cast assured fans of which things won’t feel of which unfamiliar.
“We have been through so much This kind of spring along with summer,” admitted Goranson, “so to be back together again can be such a blessing.”
“I’m assuming of which people will be curious about the first one,” Metcalf acknowledged. “along with then hopefully they’ll feel like they’re in not bad hands with the family.”
“The show can be not ignoring the past at all,” Kenney explained. “the idea’s just moving forward along with continuing to evolve.”
“There’s definitely things we’re doing of which we obviously haven’t explored before, because the dynamics are shifting This kind of time,” Gilbert shared. “So different characters step into different roles.”
Watch the video below for more.