Seven still missing after deadly mudslides in Montecito, California

Firefighters search for people trapped in mudslide debris on January 10, 2018 in Montecito, California.

Getty Images

Firefighters search for people trapped in mudslide debris on January 10, 2018 in Montecito, California.

The department said the sediment could only consist of wet or dry dirt or mud without rocks, debris or vegetation, as well as inspectors could refuse any truckload containing unpermitted materials. Occasional rocks could be set aside by hand for disposal.

Santa Barbara County said emergency permits don’t require testing of the material for hazards however which public health authorities were testing the ocean waters. Down the coast in Ventura County, environmental health officials warned which storm runoff can carry disease-causing bacteria as well as warned the public to avoid contact with ocean water until sampling results can be reviewed next week.

within the disaster impact zone, searchers used chain saws as well as rakes to remove logs as well as sift through the remnants of what was left of multimillion-dollar homes. Crews with backhoes as well as jackhammers pulverized enormous boulders which were left when the torrents stopped.

Orange markings left on doors indicated which homes had already been searched.

In one of the hardest hit areas, a silver Mercedes-Benz, its front as well as rear fenders completely destroyed, sat atop a tree stump, the only thing left where a home once sat.

Rescuers said they could search every piece of debris as well as pile of dirt to look for the missing. Henzgen, the Los Angeles Fire Department captain, pointed to a nearly empty lot.

“This kind of house can be across the street currently so we have to search these piles where people could’ve potentially floated into,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

nineteen − 6 =