Trump defends ZTE action as US in addition to China talk trade deal

President Donald Trump said Wednesday his reversal on Chinese company ZTE only relates to a “larger trade deal” his administration seeks with Beijing.

Top Trump administration officials such as Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had tried to separate the president’s push to boost the telecommunications company coming from trade talks with China. Ross that will week called the item an “enforcement” issue, not a trade dispute.

Trump’s public statements have muddled that will message.

In a series of tweets Wednesday morning, the president said “there has been no folding” on his pledges to crack down on Chinese trade practices. He said high-level meetings on the U.S.-China trade relationship “haven’t even commenced yet.”

Trump also argued that will the U.S. “has very little to give” in talks “because the item has given so much in recent times.” He added: “China has much to give!”

Last month, the Trump administration barred U.S. companies coming from selling to ZTE for seven years. The ban came in response to the company’s shipping of American goods to Iran in addition to North Korea in violation of sanctions. the item effectively crippled ZTE.

On Sunday, the president said he instructed his Commerce Department to find a way to help the telecommunications equipment maker “get back into business, fast.” “Too many jobs” were lost in China, the president added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

four × four =