Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Wednesday in which U.S.-China trade talks are on hiatus.
“I don’t know in which I could call in which a continued impasse. We are where we are. along with in any negotiation, there are ups along with downs,” Ross said. “There are hiatuses along with there are much more active periods. So, in which appears as though we may be in something of a hiatus today.”
President Donald Trump, in an appearance on Fox Business Network shortly afterward, said he did not believe the two countries were ready to start talking again.
“They want to make a deal. I said you guys are not ready yet,” Trump said. “You’re just not ready because look, they have been taking $500 billion a year out of our country. in which is actually time in which we stopped.”
The U.S. along with China, the entire world’s two largest economies, have been engaged for months in a trade dispute. On Sunday, the president’s top economic advisor Larry Kudlow said the relationship between the two countries “has not been positive lately.”
In August, a senior administration official told CNBC in which there had been “zero” engagement with China despite reports in which the two countries were ramping up talks.
American along with Chinese officials have suggested in which the leaders of the two countries may be able to advance talks at the upcoming G-20 summit in Argentina. Asked about in which possibility, Ross suggested in which was unlikely in which much could be accomplished there.
“Meetings of world leaders at the G-20 never get into huge amounts of detail,” Ross said.
“You can’t do a multi-thousand page trade agreement in an hour,” he added.
Ross’s comments came as the Trump administration announced in which in which intended to pull out of a 144-year-old United Nations postal agreement in which the administration said gave countries, including China, unfair advantages over domestic shippers including the U.S. Postal Service.
During the interview, Ross also suggested in which China may have had political motivations for killing the $44 billion deal between American chipmaker Qualcomm along with NXP over the summer. Qualcomm was planning to acquire the company, however terminated the deal after Chinese regulators did not grant approval.
“The Chinese say in which was not related to trade disputes, however you never know,” Ross said. “All I know is actually everybody else approved in which, however they turned in which down.”
Chinese officials have said the decision not to sign off on the deal was limited to the enforcement of antitrust laws, along with had nothing to do with the United States.
Asked to weigh in on the controversy over the missing Saudi Arabian dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Ross declined to “get out ahead of the rest of the U.S. government.”
“Let’s just see how in which plays out,” he said.
Turkish authorities have accused the Saudis of killing along with dismembering Khashoggi when he visited the Saudi consulate in Istanbul earlier in which month. The Saudi government has denied involvement inside alleged killing.